Summary: The number of registered voters as of July 2022 and the turnout rate in the 2012, 2016, and 2020 presidential election by immigration status, race, and sex. The turnout rate reflects the percentage of currently registered voters in each geography (as of July 2022) that voted in the 2012, 2016, and 2020 presidential election, regardless of whether they were living in the same place in 2022 or were eligible to vote.
Data Source(s): Political Data, Inc., politicaldata.com.
Universe: All U.S. citizens registered to vote as of July 2022.
Methods: Political Data Inc. data files for each racial/ethnic and nativity group were downloaded from the PDI website for the 2012, 2016, and 2020 general elections at the state, county and city/place levels. Data was aggregated by nativity, sex, and geography type. All excess data from place files was removed so that only city level data was used. Total votes by year were then divided by total currently registered voters as of July 2022 to derive a measure of total votes as a share of currently registered voters. Data for geographies and demographic groups was set to missing if based on fewer than 30 registered voters or if less than 75 percent of all registered voters for a racial/ethnic group had valid nativity information within a given geography. See the methodology page for other relevant notes.
- Racial/ethnic identification of data on registration and voting is only available for the following groups: Italian, Russian, Armenian, Iranian, Arab, Black, Portuguese, Latino, Indian, Other Southeast Asian, Vietnamese, Filipino, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Pacific Islander. It is imputed based on surnames and data fields.
- Nativity information is based on the listed countries of origin on voter registration forms and is sometimes missing.
- Data by nativity is based on registered voters for which nativity information is available, while data for all voters (immigrant and U.S. born combined) is based on all registered voters.
- Data by sex is based on registered voters for which sex information is available, while data for all voters (male and female) is based on all registered voters.
- No data is reported if based on fewer than 30 registered voters or if nativity or sex information is reported for less than 75 percent of all registered voters as of July 2022.
- There were instances where the number of people who voted in the 2012 and 2020 election were slightly bigger than those who were registered. In these instances, we set the voting population equal to the registered population and then recalculated the voter turnout rates.